Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Getting Back in the Groove

I haven't blogged up until now because honestly, I haven't been feeling myself this week.  Could be hormones, could be the pneumonia thing, or a combination of that and other life distractions. 

So I was sitting in my office on Monday afternoon thinking, "wow, it's warm in here."  I turned on my little desk fan and took off a layer of clothes.  I finished up my work for the day and headed to the gym with a plan to do an easy, short spin on the bike and then lift a few weights.  Glen and Mark were at the front desk so I stopped to catch up for a few minutes.  While I'm standing there I realized I was feeling hot again.  This is not a good sign.  I took off another layer of clothes and acknowledged that I probably have a fever.  Dammit!  So I walked my butt back out the door and went home to take my temperature.

99.1°, not too bad.  But I really shouldn't be having a fever at all.  My doctor is on vacation so I sent a message to her back-up person on Tuesday morning.  Later in the day I got a message back saying if my fever reoccurs that I need to be seen.  Phew, no doctor visit needed.  But I figured that since something is up with my body, I'd better skip the gym again.  I considered that maybe the running on Sunday was a bad idea but in the end, I really don't think so.  I ran so easy, so effortlessly, I can't see how that would have messed me up. 

Today, Wednesday, I was home with the kids.  My eating has been somewhat sloppy lately but I woke up this morning with a renewed motivation to not let my weight creep up during this time of almost no exercise.  Eating healthy has always been so much easier for me when I'm exercising, it's like the two go hand-in-hand.  The last couple days when I've gotten on the scale I'm a bit over 140.  Still well under my goal weight but I'll tell you the truth, I now see 140 as a yellow-light weight.  145 would mean it's time to sound the alarm, take action.  So far it seems if I'm eating a healthy diet and getting a good amount of exercise, the high 130's is where my body wants to be.

Speaking of my body, I've been wondering how my lungs sound.  Good thing I have a nurse buddy who was willing to make a house-call.  She listened and said she could hear a little bit of stuff (my non-medical term, not hers) and that I'm probably 85-90% clear.  Yay!  That's some good progress.   I have another 1.5 weeks until I get my follow-up chest x-ray, and I need to be 100% clear by then.  Things are looking good for that. 

Anyway, back to today.  I took the kids for haircuts, they were little angels, and then to the candy shoppe for a treat.  They chose lollipops over frozen yogurt, which really surprised me.  In the afternoon my mom came to hang with the kids while I ran some errands and went to the gym.

At the gym I rode the upright bike on level five for 15 minutes and then another of my self-made full body workouts, doing a little bit of everything.  I increased the difficulty a bit by doing 2 sets of things instead of just the 1 set I've been doing.  I felt really good but some of the exercises were a challenge.  My poor muscles have lost a little of their umph.  But no worry, I'll get it back.  In the meantime, I can't say I'm unhappy with my body these days, despite all the downtime. 

Post workout contentment.


  1. Look at that post-endorphines smile! Even with pneumonia! Hope you continue to feel better and better each day.

  2. You look great! I would have found it quite hard to work out while not feeling good. Good job!!!


If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle