Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 5: A visit to the doctor

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

Today started out lazy. I took another day off work, really wanting to be sure I kicked whatever was creeping around in my body. Eventually I made an appointment with the doctor. My plan was to go to the gym after the appointment, depending on the news I received about my health.

Breakfast: Two fried eggs, ham, and some steamed sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are becoming my new bestie.

Snack: Banana

I ran a few errands, including picking up my currently favorite jacket from the alterations lady after losing a button. Anyway, because I'd slept in so late I didn't get hungry for lunch until around 2:30.

Lunch: leftover chicken and rice soup, 1/2 avocado.

I finally got to the doctor's office in the late afternoon. They were running so far behind that I had no hope of going to the gym afterward regardless of my health. In any case, I got in to see the doc and thank the heavens, no pneumonia! Whew! But, I do have a viral bronchitis. I'll take it. She said to start using my inhaler every 4 hours while I'm awake and before I exercise (after too if I'm wheezing). Did you hear that? Exercise! Yep, I don't have to stop exercising.

As far as why I'm so tired, she thinks it's a combo of the bronchitis as well as no refined carbs. My body is used to have quick, easy fuel. Now I'm only giving it slow fuel, it has to work harder to turn an apple into energy, than, say, a croissant. Ohhh, a warm, I'm getting distracted. Anyway, she said I might want to increase my caffeine a bit to compensate. But no doc, no caffeine either.

Well, then of course you're tired! She even theorized that my glycogen stores are low right now, which is why my muscles are feeling more sore than usual. So, all's good. Cleared to exercise, no pneumonia, no meds to take (other than using my inhaler), and just waiting out this viral bronchitis business, which will go away on it's own a week or two here.

Then to pick up the kids and head to my mom's for dinner. My mom was so sweet, she made me a special meal, since I couldn't eat the raviolis she was serving everyone else. Actually, it was for myself and my sister-in-law, because she's doing a 14-day detox thing and can't eat carbs or processed foods.

Dinner: cedar wrapped salmon with zucchini, shiitake mushrooms and thai basil, salad with balsamic vinegar and leftover sweet potatoes.

The meal was super yummy. Only problem, I felt like I could have eaten that same meal twice. I definitely have a munchy food thing going on. I just feel like I want to be eating.

And later, I had a bite of Boston cream cake. Marek cut it for me, put it on a plate and "served me" and I couldn't say no. Of course, I also wanted to try it so I can't put all the blame on wanting to be a nice mom. I took one bite and then surreptitiously hid it away. The bite wasn't all that great, which made it easy not to want more.

Well, that's all I have for now. It's late, and I'm tired, so I'm off to bed. I might try and get a bike ride in in the morning, we'll have to see how it goes. I have Sunday run plans with Catherine so that's set. Hopefully my lungs will be a tad better before then, less wheezing.


  1. Cycling is good for you. I also love the bike, on the weekends I often go cycling with my brother, it made me feel extremely comfortable, cycling to the suburbs to enjoy the fresh air , will be nothing more wonderful

    1. Yep, I'm bummed I never got out on my bike but soon I will. I love it too!


If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle